I have a roommate ... now what?
Living with one or more roommates can be one of the best experiences you have while at the University of Guelph. It’s a chance to develop deep friendships and share the experience of University. If you are moving into residence for the first time, you may or may not know who your new roommate(s) is/are. This may also be your first time sharing a room and therefore you will need to learn how your behaviour and actions can both positively and negatively affect others.
Starting off on the right foot
Whether you are living with old friends or complete strangers, the secrets to success are communication and compromise. There are a few things that you can do prior to moving in to help get things started off on the right foot:
- Share basic information about yourselves with each other
- Discuss what everyone is going to bring and what you might share and what might be off limits
- Start having conversations about things like sleeping and studying habits, cleanliness etc.
Talk it out
Even the best of friends can disagree from time to time. If an issue develops between you and your roommate(s) here are a few steps you can take:
- Have a conversation with your roommate and try to come to a solution everyone can agree to. Let each person give their point of view without interrupting. When you feel you understand each other, it will be easier to find solutions.
- Try to be open to compromise. What is it you actually need in this situation?
- If the issue still continues, then speak with your Residence Assistant for support.
Roommate Agreement Worksheet (for doubles, triples etc...)
Suitemate Agreement (for Lambton suites, East Residence and apartments)
House Agreement (for East Village)
In September..check out the Roommate Game!
How well do you know your new roommate?
The Roommate game puts a modern spin on the classic newlywed game and has roommates answering questions about each other to find out just how much they know. Hilarity is guaranteed as you hear the different answers and the funny responses by those participating. Be on the lookout for this gameshow to be brought to your residence community and compete with your roommate or another student in your community as we look to crown the champions.