Our residences are closed during the Holiday Period between the Fall and Winter semesters.
However, we recognize that some of our students are not able to return home or make alternate accommodation during the campus closure period. If you think you might need to live on campus during the Holiday Break period, we ask you to indicate this need on your Residence Application.
Holiday Break Check-out
You are scheduled to check-out of residence within 24 hours of your last exam. The final check-out date for the Fall 2020 term is Saturday, December 19, 2020 at 12:00 noon. Residences will re-open Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 9:00 am.
You can leave your personal belongings in your room during the holiday break if you are returning to the same room in January.
Before you go:
- Empty the garbage and throw out any unwrapped or open food. If you have a refrigerator, leave it plugged in.
- We turn down the heat over the holidays, so if you have an aquarium or plants that might be sensitive to the cold temperatures, please move them to a warmer location.
- Leaving your computer behind? Back up all your essential data and take that copy with you, just in case. Unplug all the power and network cables (including power cables for the monitors, speakers, etc.), and unplug any routers or wireless transmitters.
- Close and latch all windows, turn off the lights, and lock the door.
- Return your keys to the Residence Desk and complete and sign the check-out form. (If you forget to return the keys, you will be charged $75 for changing the lock plus $125 for not checking out).
Once you are checked out, you are expected to leave the Residence. You’re not allowed to stay in a friend’s room, for example. There is a no-guests policy during this time.
Student Housing Services staff will enter every room to check for security or fire safety concerns. However, the University is not responsible for loss of or damage to personal belongings left in the room during the holidays.
Extensions and Stayovers
In cases where you are not able to check-out of residence within 24 hours of your last exam, or if you are not able to return home during the Holiday Break, you MAY be granted permission to remain in residence on campus. The holiday break period is not covered by your residence fees, therefore an additional fee will be charged to cover costs associated with accommodation between semesters.
If you require an Extension or Stayover during the holiday closure period, you must submit an Extension / Stayover Request Form through your Housing Portal.
The residences will open on Saturday prior to classes resuming. Please check in at your Residence Desk for your keys. If you must arrive before this time, please contact Student Housing at 519 824-4120 ext 58701 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you haven’t checked in by noon on the Monday following classes resuming, and haven’t notified us that you’re checking in late, we will cancel your room assignment. So please let us know by contacting email@example.com if you will be returning late.