Let's do Laundry
Doing laundry can feel overwhelming when you’re unsure of what to do. Here are some basics to help get you started!
Washing your Clothes
- Check all clothing items.
- Check all your items that have pockets or zippered areas where items could be. Remove all items from those areas and ensure there is nothing that was accidentally left behind. Common items left in pockets can be tissues, elastics, hairpins, pens, and garbage.
- Separate your laundry
- Ensure you check all care labels on your clothing, and place items that are to be dry cleaned or hand washed only not in the washing machine.
- New items may bleed their colours so separate them or turn them inside out.
- Darks and Lights should be separated as colours may bleed, and you can use different temperatures for the different loads.
- Turning your clothes inside out will protect them in the machine.
- Pre-treat stains
- If you have any tough stains pre-treat them to help, ensure they’re removed after washing.
- Measure detergent and add it to the washing machine (instructions for individual washers are located on the machines)
- To know how much detergent to use look at your detergent packaging. For HE detergent you do not need to use very much.
- Add your clothing to the washing machine
- Add piece by piece to the washing machine.
- You want the laundry machine to be loosely filled with your clothing and only 3/4 fill the drum. Do not overfill the machine.
- Select washing machine water temperature and turn the machine on.
- Set a 30-minute timer and return to the washer.
Drying your Clothes
- Take items from the washing machine and sort them based on what can go into the dryer and what needs to hang dry.
- Place items loosely into the dryer.
- Select temperature for dryer and start the machine.
- Set a 55-minute timer and return to collect your clothing.
- Set a routine – pick a day each week you’ll do your laundry!
- Set a timer on your phone if leaving your items unattended.
- Items left unattended in the laundry room are at your own risk and may be moved by other individuals.
- Don’t forget to wash your towels and bedding each week.
More information on laundry in residence can be found here.