Welcome to South Residence!
South Residence is the largest residence complex in Canada, with three connected sections: Mountain Hall, Prairie Hall, and Maritime Hall. Designed by Australian architect John Andrews, each hall has four wings, with each wing comprised of three six-storey vertical sections called houses. The small alcoves and numerous lounges foster tight-knit communities where students develop close friendships.
- South Residence is the U of G's largest residence, accommodating 1800+ students and is sub-divided into Mountain, Prairie, and Maritime Halls
- The buildings are a unique architectural design, with each hall laid out as identical backward "F"'s
- Each hall is further sub-divided into four wings for a total of 12 wings across South
- Each wing is divided into "towers," which are numbered. Example: "Woodlands 3” refers to the Woodlands Wing (in Mountain) and Tower #3
- A common floor called "street level" runs across the entire residence, and each tower is situated both above and below street level
- Each tower is made up of a series of stacked levels that have students living in groupings of 4 - 10 people in a mix of alcove and long hallway style sections
- Washroom facilities are located in each alcove
- Rooms are designed to accommodate one, two or three students, though single rooms are the most common
- Residence rooms are typically labelled as "alcove" or "corridor" rooms based on location within the tower
- There are no elevators available for student use in South Residence
- Student eateries are available in both Mountain and Prairie Halls
- There are three lounges in each tower, each equipped with a kitchenette
- The lounge on the 4th floor of each tower is equipped with a microwave
- A large building lounge, the Eccles Centre, allows for group activities to take place, and can be reserved in advance for a special function
- South Student Lounges (SSLs), located in Mountain and Prairie, contain big screen TV’s and comfy couches; the Mountain SSL also features a full kitchen
- Each Hall also sports an additional TV lounge
- The Games Room, complete with a pool table, is located in Mountain Hall
- Mountain Hall contains an Academic Drop-in Centre staffed by upper-year students
- Laundry facilities are located in Mountain and Maritime and are equipped with washers and dryers, free of charge to residence students
- There is a music practice room also available in Prairie Hall, equipped with a piano
- The Student Housing Services Administrative Offices are located in Maritime Hall
- ResNet WiFi is included in all rooms
- The building is NOT wheelchair accessible
- For security, South is locked 24 hours/day; the Perimeter Access System allows residents to access the building using their student cards
- Residents are provided with keys to the building (Student ID Cards), their room (traditional key) and their mailbox (traditional keys)
ALCOVE Rooms vs CORRIDOR Rooms
- Alcove rooms are located within the tower and are divided by a concrete wall
- Corridor rooms are located between each tower and divided by a plaster wall
NEW For Fall 2022/Winter 2023
To meet an increase in residence demand for Fall 2022/Winter 2023, select room types have been converted to higher-occupancy rooms, while maintaining high-quality living environments and our well-known University of Guelph residence experience.
The following new room types have been added.
South Alcove Triple
South Alcove Double rooms have been converted to triple rooms. See the Alcove Double room tour video below for a look at the space.
- Two students share a larger space with two large closets.
- One student in the smaller, adjoining room, complete with a desk and wardrobe storage.
- Under-bed storage drawers have been added.
- All students have a nightstand which can be moved or stored under the desk.
Room Fees: See Residence Fees
South Deluxe Triples, which include an ensuite washroom, have been converted to South Quad rooms.
- Large windows and skylights for natural light.
- Two students share a more compact space with a large walk-in closet and ample storage.
- Two students share a larger space with two beds, desks, and wardrobes.
- Students share a private ensuite washroom with a toilet stall, sink, and walk-in shower.
Room Rate: See Residence Fees
SOUTH RESIDENCE - Single Alcove Room
SOUTH RESIDENCE - Double Alcove Room
SOUTH RESIDENCE - Single Corridor Room
SOUTH RESIDENCE - Triple Room
360 Degree Room Tours