CoronavirusUPDATED September 16, 2021



The Province of Ontario remains in PHASE 3 of the "Reopening Ontario" plan.  All students living in residence, and all faculty,staff and students attending campus for Fall 2021-Winter 2022 will require vaccinations.   Link here for a list of Frequently Asked Questions about the vaccine requirement.



U of G’s COVID-19 vaccination requirement for students, faculty, staff and visitors comes into effect Sept. 7.  For more information, see the University of Guelph COVID-19 COVID-19 Vaccine FAQ page.



Link button to COVID-19 Screening Questionnaire


Any student living or visiting on campus must complete a COVID-19 Screening Questionnaire. 

CLICK HERE for the COVID-19 Screening Questionnaire.



>   For information about the University response to the COVID-19 pandemic, please visit the University of Guelph Main COVID-19 Information site.
>   To learn more about Ontario's COVID-19 response restrictions, go to the Province of Ontario COVID-19 Response Framework.
>   For information about symptoms, risks and health care related to COVID-19 visit the Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health website.


The health and safety of our community are our top priority. We are excited to welcome you to campus, and remind you of the importance of following our COVID-19 safety precautions.

Get vaccinated - U of G will require students living in our Guelph campus residences in 2021-22 to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or to receive an exemption based on medical or other grounds protected under the Ontario Human Rights Code.  Further information and a link to the Exemption Form.

Learn more about U of G’s vaccine requirements for those living on campus on our COVID-19 Vaccine FAQ page.

Follow our COVID-19 safety protocols - To help keep everyone safe, students living in our residences must follow our COVID-19 safety procotols, including:

  • wearing a mask in all indoor common spaces in residence, such as hallways, lobbies, stairwells and elevators.
  • practicing proper hand hygiene by washing their hands often and using available hand sanitizer
  • physically distancing by staying at least 2 metres (6 feet) from others and limiting close contact to only your suitemates/roommates.
  • following posted occupancy limits for shared spaces
  • completing U of G’s COVID-19 screening form every day and following its direction.

Learn more about U of G’s COVID-19 safety protocols on our Return to Campus website.

Updated COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions for students living in residence





For Current Residents


Information about stay-at-home lockdown options, community expectations living in residence, reducing the spread of COVID-19, what to do if you experience symptoms, how to reach out for support, feeling isolated, and more.

For New Applicants for Fall 2021


Living in residence during the Fall 2021 - Winter 2022 semesters?  Read more about what to expect in residence during COVID-19.

Information for International Students


Arriving from outside of Canada?  Learn more about our Quarantine Housing program and support available for International Students.

Family Housing COVID-19 Information


Important information about community living, accessing services, work order protocols, reaching out for support and more.



Website Disclaimer:  


Due to the dynamic nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, information stated herein is subject to change in response to a change in government regulation and/or Public Health guidelines.












Q:  What does this mean for students currently living in residence?

A:  Guelph is currently in Phase 3 (Reopening Ontario) status.  If you are currently living in residence or Family Housing, your assigned room/unit is considered your "home".   We encourage students to remain in residence and avoid any non-essential travel.   

Q:  Can I leave campus to visit friends? 

A:  See the Province of Ontario COVID-19 Response Framework for more information about what is permitted during the appropriate phase, visit Re-Opening Ontario.


Q: What are my responsibilities in helping contain the spread of COVID-19?

A:  We all have an important role to play in helping stop the spread of COVID-19. First and foremost, all students living in residence are required to be vaccinated.  More details can be found in our Vaccine Frequenty Asked Questions.  Also, you can review the Practices section of the University’s Return to Campuses website for 10 ways you can help keep yourself and our community safe.

All those living in residence or in student housing must abide by the terms of the Residence Contract and follow our Community Living Standards.

Q: What should I do if I see others not following COVID-19 regulations?

A:  All those living in residence or in family housing must follow provincial COVID-19 regulations and can be subject to associated fines.

If you are concerned that someone is not adhering to provincial or University COVID-19 guidelines:

  • In East Village Townhouses or West Residence: Contact your Residence Desk at 519-824-4120, Ext. 58124 to inform the Residence Life Manager
  • In Family Housing: Contact the Family Housing Community Life Manager at or 519-824-4120, Ext. 54708
  • Call Campus Community Police at 519-824-4120, Ext. 52245.

Our first priority is education. The individual may not understand the regulations or not realize they are in violation. Repeated violations can be addressed through associated provincial fines and through U of G’s Policy on Non-Academic Misconduct, including an appearance before the University Judicial Committee.

Q: Will cleaning be enhanced in my building?

A:  Yes. In the event of an outbreak, additional cleaning protocols and more frequent cleaning of East Village common areas (e.g., Town Hall) will be implemented until the outbreak is declared over.

Students remain responsible for cleaning their own townhouses.

Q:  Can I get COVID-19 if my dog plays with other dogs in family housing?

A:  Public Health offers information on COVID-19 and pets.


Q: Where can I get tested for COVID-19?

A:  If you are symptomatic, U of G students can book an appointment for an on-campus COVID-19 test at Student Health Services by calling 519-824-4120 Ext. 52131.

You can also be tested at the local COVID-19 Assessment Centre at 400 Southgate Dr.

Q: How can I get to the local COVID-19 Assessment Centre if I don't have a car?

A:  If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, you can get tested on campus by making an appointment with Student Health Services. Call 519-824-4120 Ext., 52131 to book your test.

If you choose to go to the COVID-19 Assessment Centre and don’t have a car, take a taxi. When you call, let the taxi company know that you are going to a testing centre so they can take precautions. Wear a mask during the ride and sit in the back seat opposite the driver. If possible, drive with the windows open to increase air flow. Sanitize your hands before and after the trip.

Q: If I think I have symptoms of COVID-19 or I’m worried that I’ve been in contact with someone who has COVID-19, what should I do?

A:  Call Student Health Services at 519-824-4120, Ext. 52131 for advice.

Q: If an outbreak happens, will I be tested for COVID-19? Should I get tested?

A:  In the event of an outbreak, the University has a comprehensive outbreak management plan developed in consultation with local public health authorities.

Q: I am feeling stressed. Who can I talk to?

A:  U of G is here to support you!

  • Call Counselling Services at 519-824-4120 ext. 53244
  • Text “UofG” to 686868 using your text- or SMS-enabled device
  • Call Good2Talk 1-866-925-5454
  • Talk to your RA





Q:  I am an international student currently living in residence and can't return to my home country between semesters.  Am I able to stay in residence?

A:  ​Yes, you may apply to remain in residence during the summer months and winter holiday break if you are registered for courses in the following semester.    The application will be available for In Room students on the Housing Portal. 

Note:  If you are living in our North Residences or East Residences, you will relocated to our East Village townhouse community.

Q: Are food locations on campus open?  

A:  During the winter break period, dining halls are closed.  For up to date hours of operation of all food locations, visit the Hospitality Services website.

Q:  What are the quarantine arrangements for new or returning international students arriving in Canada? 

A:  ​We have created an information page for students who must quarantine upon arrival at




Q:  Is residence still available for Fall 2021?

A:   We are currently accepting late applications beyond June 1 and will continue to make additional offers as space allows.  We currently have a waiting list and will make offers throughout the fall semester.

Q:   If I am arriving from outside of Canada for Fall 2021, am I required to quarantine?  How will I quarantine in residence?

A:   You are required to follow the procedures set out by the Canadian government.  If you do not pass the entry screening process, you may be required to quarantine for up to 14 days.  More information is available on our Quarantine Housing webpage at 

Q:  What kind of support programs and services will be available in residences?

A:  We have our professional and student Residence Life staff and support services in all of our residence communities.  We want your campus residence experience is safe, supportive and fun.  Read more about our Residence Life programs.

Q:  How will residence work if physical distancing is still advised?

A:  We are in consultation with our Public Health unit to ensure that we are in compliance with regulatory requirements and best practices to protect the safety of our students.  We know that reducing in-person interaction and use of common spaces (such as washrooms, group common spaces, etc.) is essential to prevent the spread of the virus.   Link here for more details about what you can expect living in residence with COVID-19.

Q:  Is the Student Housing office open?  

A:  Our Student Housing main office (Maritime Hall) is open during regular business hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm).  We encourage visitors to connect with us my email, phone or live chat whenever possible.  Extended conversations can also be accommodated through a Teams meeting with housing staff.  Contact us by email at or by telephone at 519-824-4120 ext. 58701 during office hours. 




Q:  Do the new vaccination requirements apply to Family Housing?

A:  Yes. 78 College Avenue and Wellington Woods are located on university lands.  Please refer to the University of Guelph vaccine requirements regarding vaccination.

Q: How can I connect with Student Housing Services?

A:  Members of the Student Housing Services team are connecting with Family Housing residents via email and by phone.  You can make an appointment to visit the Family Housing Office by contact  Employees in the Student Housing Services office are working both in-office and remotely as appropriate. They can be reached by email and will respond during normal office hours, weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Q: I am self-isolating due to COVID-19. What supports are available to me?

A: If you or someone in your unit is self-isolating, Student Housing Services can help arrange assistance. Email and a member of our team will contact you to discuss what supports we can provide.

Q: I’m feeling disconnected from my community. What can I do?

A:  Our community life staff is planning virtual programming to maintain our sense of community and to help during this time of uncertainty and physical distancing.

If you have any questions about the programing, would like to suggest an idea or program or want to contribute to the development of programs, please connect Barb Robbins at



Q: I have concerns about my ability to pay rent. What should I do?

A:  If you have a concern with your ability to pay your rent, contact so we can work with you on a solution.

Q: How is the University maintaining security during the COVID-19 pandemic?

A:    U of G’s Campus Safety Office staff on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  If you need non-emergency assistance from Campus Safety Office, call 519-840-5000.  In an emergency, call 911.





If your question is not answered here, please send your question to



Website Disclaimer:  Due to the dynamic nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, information stated herein is subject to change in response to a change in government regulation and/or Public Health guidelines.