Requesting a Room Transfer Prior to Move-in
We understand that there are situations where you may not be happy with your placement or thriving in your current community. If we can – depending on vacancies – we may be able to transfer you to another room or building.
There are two phases to our Room Transfer process -- pre-move-in (August 2 to August 25) and in-semester (September 16 - Dec 2). In the Winter semester, transfer requests will continue to be accommodated subject to available vacancies in residence.
IN-SEMESTER ROOM TRANSFER REQUEST
Once you have moved in to your residence community, we wait a full week after classes begin for our residence communities to engage. In many cases, we find that the overwhelming experience of moving to campus, Orientation Week, establishing networks and starting into the routine of attending your classes has settled down by the end of the second week and the urgency for a room or building transfer is no longer an issue. However, you may still feel that your current location is not working for you. On Friday, September 16, you will be able to submit a Room Transfer Request. Transfer Requests can only be granted when and where vacancies exist within our residences. In emergency situations, transfer requests will be considered prior to September 16 - please contact your Residence Assistant or Residence Manager in situations that require direct intervention.
Here’s what to do:
- Fill out the Room Transfer Request Form
- If you are requesting a transfer due to a roommate or community conflict, you must first contact your Residence Assistant or Residence Manager (for in-semester transfers after you have moved in only).
- If there are medical circumstances, please let us know and provide supporting documentation (required). Medical needs are prioritized according to individual circumstances.
Room Transfer Tips
- Changes can take place ONLY after they have been approved by Student Housing. Please don’t attempt to organize your own transfers with friends or other students.
- There may be additional charges or credits when you transfer, depending on your new room type and location. For example, if you are in double room and ask to be transferred to a single room, you will be charged the new rate pro-rated based on the date you check-in to your new room assignment. These will be posted to your account. Contact Student Financial Services if you have any questions.
Priority for a Room Transfer
Student Housing Services staff will determine priorities when vacancies for transfers become available.
If you have a documented medical need, please be sure to explain this and include documentation when you complete the application. If you have not already done so, complete the Special Consideration Request form.
- Fill out ALL fields,
- For IN SEMESTER transfer, contact your Residence Assistant or Residence Manager to attempt to resolve any issues before submitting your Form. If you skip this step, we will refer your Transfer Request to your RA or RLM before we consider you for a room transfer.
- Please be aware that residence fees are based on your building location and room type. If your room transfer is for a building or room type that has a different residence fee, your new fees will be calculated according to the day your pick up keys for your new room assignment.
- When you press DONE, your request is sent to Student Housing Services.
- You will see an on-screen confirmation page when your Room Transfer Request Form is successfully submitted.
- You will not be contacted again until we have completed your transfer request. Once a transfer has been granted according to your requested location or room type, you cannot opt to move back to your original assignment.
- If you wish to cancel your request at any time, use the form below to nullify your request for a transfer.
- Should you have difficulties completing this form, please call our office at 519-824-4120 ext. 58701.