Didn’t the time go by fast? It’s already the end of the semester and time to think about moving out for the summer.
You are expected to vacate your residence room and check out with your residence desk within 24 hours of completion of your final exam. If you are writing an exam in the final time slot, you are expected to leave no later than noon on the next day. If you are not able to check-out at your assigned time, you must complete a Residence Extension Form.
Believe it or not we are approaching the end of the semester! We hope you have enjoyed your stay in residence and wish you success with your exams. To ensure a stress free check-out, read the information below:
- check your last exam date by logging in to your MyHousing account to ensure we have the correct date
- If there is an error with your last exam date, complete an Extension Application Form (also located within your MyHousing account).
- your check-out date is 24 hours after your last exam, or by 12 noon on the final date of April 25 (if your last exam is in the very last time slot), whichever comes first.
The following exceptions apply:
- No exams? Your required check out date is Saturday, April 8, 2017 by 6pm.
- Graduate Student or ESL Student? You are permitted to stay in residence until 12 noon on Monday, April 25, 2017.
- DVM Student? You are permitted to stay in residence until 12 noon on Monday, April 25, 2017.
All applications for extensions must be received no later than 4:00pm on Friday, April 7, 2017. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. A $20 non-refundable fee will be applied for late applications. *Please note that after April 7, 2017, any late extension requests to stay beyond April 25 at noon will NOT be accommodated.
For further details on acceptable extension requests (ie. travel in excess of 500km, purchased travel ticket, academic) and/or for an Extension Application Form. Complete documentation, such as copy of travel ticket, is required in order for your application to be considered. Send all supporting documentation to email@example.com and it will be matched up with your extension application.
Complete a perfect Check-Out and AVOID ANY CHARGES by following these simple steps:
- Clean! Vacuum your room, empty garbage cans and get rid of any unused food; you can pick up extra garbage bags at your Residence Desk; clean the inside of your fridge/freezer, clean your stove:
- Keep your fridge/freezer PLUGGED IN;
- Close and lock all windows and doors;
- Remove: tape, posters, staples, tacks, etc., from all walls, ceiling, furniture, bulletin boards and room door;
- Return furniture to its original position and take home any furniture that does not belong to Student Housing Services.
We certainly don't want to add any stress at this time, so follow these instructions to avoid a potential charge of $125 for an improper check-out. See your Residence Community Living Standards for all potential extra charges if procedures are not followed correctly.
- Take all residence keys (e.g. room, mailbox, spares, fob), mattress pad cover and any signed out items (e.g. vacuums, irons) to your Residence Desk, including your storage room key and combination lock, if applicable.
- Return your laundry card to the Residence Desk at time of check-out.
- Complete your residence check-out form - ensure that both you and the Desk Staff member have signed the check-out form
You can leave your personal belongings in your room during the holiday break if you are returning to the same room in January.
Before you go:
- Empty the garbage and throw out any unwrapped or open food. If you have a refrigerator, leave it plugged in.
- We turn down the heat over the holidays, so if you have an aquarium or plants that might be sensitive to the cold temperatures, please move them to a warmer location.
- Leaving your computer behind? Back up all your essential data and take that copy with you, just in case. Unplug all the power and network cables (including power cables for the monitors, speakers, etc.), and unplug any routers or wireless transmitters.
- Close and latch all windows, turn off the lights, and lock the door.
- Return your keys to the Residence Desk and complete and sign the check-out form. (If you forget to return the keys, you will be charged $75 for changing the lock plus $125 for not checking out.
- Once you are checked out, you are expected to leave the Residence. You’re not allowed to stay in a friend’s room, for example. There is a no-guests policy during this time.
Student Housing Service staff will enter every room to check for security or fire safety concerns. However, the University is not responsible for loss of or damage to personal belongings left in the room during the holidays.
The residences will open on Saturday prior to classes resuming. Please check in at your Residence Desk for your keys. If you must arrive before this time, please contact Student Housing at 519 824-4120 ext 52348 or email firstname.lastname@example.org prior to December 8.
If you haven’t checked in by noon on the Monday following classes resuming, and haven’t notified us that you’re checking in late, we will cancel your room assignment. So please let us know if at email@example.com if you will be returning late.
If you have any questions regarding check-out please visit your Residence Desk, check with your RA or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.