Parents & Guardians

Congratulations! Your son or daughter is now a University student. You’re proud of your child’s achievements, but you probably have many questions about how to best support your student in residence. It can be an exciting, yet stressful time to watch your student … where responsibility for their well-being and success is left largely to them.

Residence Life at the University of Guelph was designed to support your student through this transition and to achieving success. We hope you’ll be reassured when you look through our website and see the supports and programs we have in place.

For information on the student conduct process and the residence experience please read through our Guide for Parents and Guardians below. 


Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How best to support your student

  • Ask your student what he or she needs from you.
  • Your student will face successes and challenges throughout university. This is a chance for him or her to learn to solve problems without your help by seeking out on-campus resources, such as the RAs (Residence Assistants).
  • Be willing to listen when your student wants to talk, without feeling that you need to solve everything.
  • Care packages! Students get very excited when these arrive. They are a perfect way to say good luck on exams or remind them you care. More information coming soon!

Q. What resources are available?

Each residence is staffed with Residence Life Staff and linked with multiple campus resources and services. Residents can call their Front Desk for on call Residence Life Staff or Residence Life Manager.  Campus Community Police is also available for emergencies 24/7.  

Q. I can't get a hold of my student, what can I do?

Are you concerned? We have a procedure in place for contacting your student to ensure their well-being or safety through their Residence Assistant or Residence Manager. To respect your student’s privacy, and uphold the University's Privacy Policy, we will ask them to reach out and contact you.

If at any time you are worried about your student’s well-being or safety, please contact us. Our staff are trained to respond to a variety of challenges and crises.

Contact us through a Residence Desk 519-824-4120:
North Residence Desk ext. 58122
South Residence Desk ext. 58123
East Residence Desk ext. 58124 

In urgent or emergency situations contact Campus Community Police at ext. 2000

Q. My student received a letter about their conduct in residence, should I be concerned?

Your student, like every other student living in residence, signed a contract and agreed to uphold the Residence Community Living Standards. When one of those standards is broken, our staff will make sure the resident is aware of the problem through an email, phone call, or letter. Our goal is to help the students learn from their mistakes, and most often the next step is a restorative strategy that helps the student acknowledge responsibility, remedy any impact caused, and repair relationships within the community.

We’d encourage you to talk with your student about the incident or behaviours that led to the letter and discuss how you can support him or her through the conduct process.


Conversation Starters for Parents 

Having open dialogue around key student issues will certainly help in the transition to University and Residence.  What to ask? We have listed a few suggestions below.

Before They Move In

  • What do you think the social aspect will be like?
  • How do you feel about drinking? drugs?
  • Can we talk about some things to think about?
  • What would you do if you felt uncomfortable? 

After They Move In

  • How are things going?  How do you like residence? Campus?
  • Who have you met? Have you talked to your RA? Are you meeting new people?
  • Are you enjoying your floor/suite/community?  Why or why not? 
  • How are classes?  Have you spoken with your professors?
  • What are you doing outside of class? Are you interested in any activities or ways to get involved?

Have more questions?  Check out our parent facebook pageparent section on theHousing or Student Life webpage