Cancellations and Refunds


Your residence deposit is credited towards the amount of money you need to pay for the Winter semester. You won’t see it on your student account until your Winter fees are posted.

Cancellation and Forfeiture of Deposit

To cancel your residence application, send an email through your email account to

There is a minimum $250.00 charge for terminating your application any time after applying.

The final deadline to receive a partial refund of $500 of your $750 deposit is July 15.

If you cancel your application and your deposit has not been paid, any applicable cancellation charge will be added to your student account with Student Financial Services.

Initiating a residence deposit appeal does NOT cancel your application/contract.

Notifying any other department that you do not wish to attend the University or live in residence does not cancel your application/contract you must contact us (Student Housing) directly by email.

Please see the Residence Contract regarding terminations, deadlines, forfeitures and refunds. Students who wish to appeal the forfeiture of their deposit must do so within 30 days of terminating the contract. For more information about Deposit Appeals, see the Billing Appeals section of our website.

Income Tax Receipts

All University of Guelph residences are designated residences for property tax and rent purposes, meaning that residence fees cannot be claimed as rent payments on income tax returns. The only claim that is allowed is $25 for the year (with no receipt necessary). For this reason, the University does not issue tax receipts for residence fees.

photo of student holding residence door