Students walking in front of Johnston Hall.

Keeping you Safe and Healthy


Current Status Update: As of May 1, 2022, the University has paused its requirement for COVID-19 vaccination and the completion of the COVID-19 Screening Questionnaire when coming to campus. Due to the dynamic nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, this directive could change at any time.  Therefore, we encourage all students to stay up to date with vaccinations and boosters in order to comply should requirements change on short notice. Masking requirements continue. Faculty, staff and students are required to wear a medical-style mask while indoors in all U of G spaces until further notice.   

>   For information about the University's response to the COVID-19 pandemic, please visit the University of Guelph's Main COVID-19 Information site.
>   To learn more about Ontario's COVID-19 response restrictions, go to the Province of Ontario COVID-19 Response Framework.
>   For information about symptoms, risks and health care related to COVID-19 visit the Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health website.



For Current Residents

For Current Summer Residents

Community expectations, reducing the spread of COVID-19, and more.  

For New Applicants for Fall 2021

For Incoming Fall 2022 Students

What to expect as an incoming student in residence this fall.  


Information for International Students

For International Students

Current information related to quarantine requirements, testing, reaching out for support, and more.  

Family Housing COVID-19 Information

For Family Housing Residents

Information about community living, accessing services, work order protocols, reaching out for support, and more.  


Frequently Asked Questions


For Current Summer Residents

Do I need to wear a mask? 

Face masks are required anywhere indoors with the exception of your townhouse room until further notice. Further information can be found on U of G’s COVID-19 website.  

Are rapid antigen tests available on campus?  

Rapid antigen tests are available upon request in limited supply from the East Residence Desk. Do not go to the desk if you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19.  

What should I do if I'm experiencing symptoms? 

Students living in residence should stay in their room and call the East Residence Desk (519-824-4120 ext. 58124). They will guide you through the isolation process and next steps.  

Can I have guests in residence? 

Residence is currently in stage 2 of the guest policy, meaning that students may have 1 on-campus guest/day. Online registration through the Housing Portal is not required at this time. For additional details, speak with your Residence Assistant.  

Are the lounges open? 

The East Village games room is open during the summer. Residents must abide by the posted capacity limits. Game equipment can be retrieved from the East Residence Desk.  

What should I do if I see others not following COVID-19 regulations? 

All those living in residence or in family housing must follow provincial COVID-19 regulations and can be subject to associated fines. 

If you are concerned that someone is not adhering to provincial or University COVID-19 guidelines: 

  • In East Village Townhouses or West Residence: Contact your Residence Desk at 519-824-4120, Ext. 58124 to inform the Residence Life Manager 

  • In Family Housing: Contact the Family Housing Community Life Manager at or 519-824-4120, Ext. 54708 

  • Call Campus Community Police at 519-824-4120, Ext. 52245. 

Our first priority is education. The individual may not understand the regulations or not realize they are in violation. Repeated violations can be addressed through U of G’s Policy on Non-Academic Misconduct, including an appearance before the University Judicial Committee, or other means as necessary. 

Will cleaning be enhanced in my building? 

Yes. In the event of an outbreak, additional cleaning protocols and more frequent cleaning of East Village common areas (e.g., Town Hall) will be implemented until the outbreak is declared over. 

Students remain responsible for cleaning their own townhouses. 

What if there's an outbreak in residence? 

In the event of an outbreak, the University has a comprehensive outbreak management plan developed in consultation with local public health authorities. 

I am feeling stressed. Who can I talk to? 

U of G is here to support you! 

  • Talk to your Residence Assistant. Summer RAs can be contacted by emailing  

  • Call Counselling Services at 519-824-4120 ext. 53244 

  • Text “UofG” to 686868 using your text- or SMS-enabled device 

  • Call Good2Talk 1-866-925-5454 



For Incoming Fall 2022 Students

Do I need to be vaccinated to live in residence? 

U of G paused its COVID-19 vaccination and mask requirements on May 1. The University retains its ability to reinstate public health requirements, if needed and with short notice. While vaccinations are currently not required for those living in residence, that requirement may be reinstated. If you are planning to live in residence, we strongly encourage you to get vaccinated as soon as possible. That way, you will be prepared if the University reinstates COVID-19 vaccination as a requirement to access campus. 

Additional details and FAQs can be found on U of G’s COVID-19 website.  

Are masks required in residence? 

Medical-style face masks continue to be required on-campus and in residence at U of G. Decisions for F22 have not been made at this time.  

More information on masking can be found here.  

What room types are available for F22? 

We are anticipating a return to full capacity within residence, including the return of triple and quad rooms. Students may select their preferences on their residence application.  

What COVID-19 policies will students be required to follow in residence? 

Decisions related to policies for the F22 semester are still ongoing and will be communicated to students as they become available. All residence students are required to abide by the Residence Community Living Standards, which will be updated to reflect current COVID-19 restrictions and requirements as needed.  

Are guests permitted in residence? 

Decisions related to Student Housing’s guest policy have not yet been finalized for the F22 semester. Orientation week and move-in have a no guest policy, regardless of COVID-19 restrictions.  

How will move-in work? 

Move-in will take place from September 2 to 4, 2022. Policies and procedures for move-in will be communicated to students in late-July/early-August.  

Is the Student Housing Services office open? 

Our Student Housing main office (Maritime Hall) is open during regular business hours. Learn more about how to contact us here.  


For International Students

Do I need to quarantine when I arrive in Canada? 

Regulations regarding international travel are constantly changing. We encourage all students arriving in Canada to connect with the International Student Experience office to ensure they are following StudySafe corridor expectations. 

Do you offer a quarantine program? 

Our on-campus quarantine program is paused at this time. Consult with the International Student Experience office for other options if quarantine is required.  



For Family Housing Residents

Do U of G's vaccination requirements apply to Family Housing? 

Yes. 78 College Avenue and Wellington Woods are located on university lands. Vaccination requirements are paused at this time but may return with short notice. Please refer to the University of Guelph vaccine requirements regarding vaccination. 

How can I connect with Student Housing Services? 

Members of the Student Housing Services team are connecting with Family Housing residents via email and by phone.  You can make an appointment to visit the Family Housing Office by contact  Employees in the Student Housing Services office are working both in-office and remotely as appropriate. They can be reached by email and will respond during normal office hours, weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 

I am self-isolating due to COVID-19. What supports are available to me? 

If you or someone in your unit is self-isolating, Student Housing Services can help arrange assistance. Email and a member of our team will contact you to discuss what supports we can provide. 

I feel disconnected from my community. What can I do? 

Our community life staff is planning programming to maintain our sense of community and to help during this time of uncertainty and physical distancing. 

If you have any questions about the programing, would like to suggest an idea or program or want to contribute to the development of programs, please connect Barb Robbins at 

I have concerns about my ability to pay rent. What should I do? 

If you have a concern with your ability to pay your rent, contact so we can work with you on a solution. 

How is the University maintaining security during the COVID-19 pandemic? 

U of G’s Campus Safety Office staff on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  If you need non-emergency assistance from Campus Safety Office, call 519-840-5000.  In an emergency, call 911. 

If your question is not answered here, please send your question to



Website Disclaimer:  

Due to the dynamic nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, the information stated herein is subject to change in response to a change in government regulation and/or Public Health guidelines. 

Updated May 12, 2022