Maritime Hall, part of South Residence is the largest residence complex in Canada. Designed by Australian architect John Andrews, each building has four wings, with each wing comprised of three six-storey vertical sections called houses. The small alcoves and numerous lounges foster tight-knit communities where students develop close friendships.
- South Residence is the U of G's largest residence, accommodating 1800+ students and is sub-divided into Mountain, Prairie, and Maritime Halls.
- The buildings are a unique architectural design, with each hall laid out as identical backward "F"'s.
- Each hall is further sub-divided into four wings for a total of 12 wings across South.
- Each wing is divided into "towers," which are numbered. Example: "Woodlands 3” refers to the Woodlands Wing (in Mountain) and Tower #3.
- A common floor called "street level" runs across the entire residence, and each tower is situated both above and below street level.
- Each tower is made up of a series of stacked levels that have students living in groupings of 4 - 10 people in a mix of alcove and long hallway style sections
- Washroom facilities are located in each alcove
- Rooms are designed to accommodate one, two, three or four students, though single rooms are the most common.
- Residence rooms are typically labeled as "alcove" or "corridor" rooms based on location within the tower.
- There are no elevators available for student use in South Residence.
- Student eateries are available in both Mountain and Prairie Halls.
- There are three lounges in each tower, each equipped with a kitchenette. The lounge on the 4th floor of each tower is also equipped with a microwave.
- A large building lounge, the Eccles Centre, allows for group activities to take place. The Centre is available on a drop in basis or may be reserved in advance for a special function.
- South Student Lounges (SSLs), located in Mountain and Prairie, contain big screen TV’s and comfy couches. The Mountain SSL also features a full kitchen.
- Each Hall also sports an additional TV lounge and certain rooms are equipped for cable service subscription should students choose.
- The Games Room, complete with a pool table, is located in Mountain Hall.
- Mountain Hall also contains an Academic Drop-in Centre staffed by upper-year students.
- Laundry facilities are located in Mountain and Maritime and are equipped with card-operated washers and dryers. Laundry Cards are available, and can be refilled, at any Residence Desk.
- There is a music practice room also available in Prairie Hall, equipped with a piano.
- The Student Housing Services Administrative Offices are located in Maritime Hall.
- ResNet WiFi in all rooms
- The building is NOT wheel-chair accessible.
- For security, South is locked 24 hours/day. The Perimeter Access System allows residents to access the building using their One Cards (student cards).
- Residents are provided with keys to the building (One Cards), their room (traditional key) and their mailbox (traditional keys).
ALCOVE Rooms vs CORRIDOR Rooms
- Alcove rooms are located within the tower and are divided by a concrete wall.
- Corridor rooms are located between each tower and divided by a plaster wall.
Please note that the rooms represented in the drawings below are representative only, and are to scale. Not all rooms are identical.
This is a SOUTH ALCOVE DOUBLE ROOM
This is a SOUTH CORRIDOR DOUBLE ROOM
This is a SOUTH ALCOVE SINGLE ROOM
This is a SOUTH CORRIDOR SINGLE ROOM
This is a SOUTH TRIPLE ROOM Type # 1